(For a downloadable, one-page PDF copy, please click here.)
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, BERKELEY, SCHOOL OF LAW (BOALT HALL) BERKELEY, CALIFORNIA
Juris Doctor, 2004
Top 20% of class; member of the California Law Review
HARVARD UNIVERSITY CAMBRIDGE, MASSACHUSETTS
Bachelor of Arts, 2000
Magna cum laude, Social Studies (political and economic theory)
Organization of American States, Inter-American Drug Abuse Control Commission (OAS/CICAD)
Director, Therapeutic Justice Program (operating in 10 nations)
Washington, D.C., USA, November 2017– Present
- Successfully negotiated agreement with a major OAS member state for the highest-value program in the Commission’s history, overcoming significant challenges and political shifts that threatened to scuttle talks.
- Opened a field office (the Commission’s first) in Mexico City from the ground up, including negotiating lease, personnel contracts, and associated services; received praise from high-ranking OAS officials for efforts.
- Oversaw the successful overhaul of OAS labor contracts in Mexico to bring them into compliance with local law.
- Authored and negotiated multi-million-dollar funding agreements.
- Persuaded an important OAS member state to write a high-visibility initiative into its national drug strategy, safeguarding its long-term viability in an uncertain political environment.
Executive Vice President and Director of Government Relations
Washington, D.C., USA, September 2015 – November 2017
- Implemented growth plan for national non-profit, founded by former U.S. Congressman Patrick Kennedy, which tripled staff size and budget in one year.
- Managed political and media strategy for issue advocacy at the local, state, federal, and international levels, including 30 state affiliates, and planned four state ballot initiative campaigns with partner 501(c)(4).
- Dozens of appearances, including numerous live TV and radio interviews, with media/think tanks in English, Spanish, and Portuguese, e.g., the BBC, NPR, NBC, CBS, Univision, and The Brookings Institution.
Bain & Company
Strategy & Public Policy Consultant; Project Manager
São Paulo, Brazil, 2014 – 2015
- Created political, legal, and public policy strategy to promote foreign investment in a Latin American government to support a US$12 billion development program, and drafted implementing legislation that became law.
- Drafted R&D reform for a Latin American nation to stimulate innovation, which the minister for economic development adopted as policy.
- Presentations to Cabinet-level officials on policy issues; periodic meetings with heads of state/vice presidents.
U.S. Department of State, Embassy Mexico City, Narcotics Affairs Section
Program Coordinator/Narcotics Affairs Officer
Mexico City, Mexico 2011 – 2014
- Directed and executed $60+ million of U.S. foreign assistance, as part of the U.S.-Mexico Merida Initiative.
- Negotiated over $14 million in sensitive drug control and anti-corruption initiatives with the Mexican government.
- Honored with U.S. State Department commendation for “sustained extraordinary performance” in advancing U.S. policy in Mexico and “creating new avenues for bilateral goodwill” between the U.S. and Mexican governments.
U.S. Department of State, Embassy Praia
Consular Section Chief, Acting/Vice Consul
Praia, Cape Verde, 2009 – 2011
- Chaired inter-agency committee responsible for resolving budgetary issues between U.S. agencies present in-country; mediated budget disputes between agency heads.
- Directed Consular Operations at a U.S. Embassy in West Africa for much of this tour of duty.
- Negotiated sensitive cases of alleged international child abduction on behalf of the Embassy.
Munger, Tolles & Olson LLP
San Francisco, CA, USA, 2006 – 2009
- Complex civil litigator with trial/arbitration experience.
- Singlehandedly negotiated tens of advantageous settlement agreements for pro bono clients under severe time pressure.
The Hon. Rosemary Barkett, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
Miami, FL, USA, 2004 – August 2005
- Law clerk for U.S. federal appellate judge in Miami, Florida.
- English (native speaker)
- Spanish (professional fluency)
- Portuguese (professional fluency)
AWARDS & HONORS
- Council on Foreign Relations, Term Member (2015 – present).
- Fellow, Drug Policy Institute, University of Florida (2015 – present)
- Superior Honor Award (U.S. Department of State, 2014): for “sustained extraordinary performance” in advancing U.S. drug policy in Mexico and “creating new avenues for bilateral goodwill with [the current] Mexican presidential administration.”
- Meritorious Honor Award (U.S. Department of State, 2011): for organizing and supervising elements of the visit to Brazil of the President of the United States of America.
- Meritorious Honor Award (U.S. Department of State, 2010): for exemplary performance and streamlining workflow while managing U.S. consular operations in the Republic of Cabo Verde, 2010.
- Franklin Award (U.S. Department of State, 2012): for excellence in teaching consular fraud prevention classes at the U.S. Foreign Service Institute.
- Outstanding Volunteer in Public Service Award (San Francisco Bar Association, 2006).
- Outstanding Volunteer in Public Service Award (San Francisco Bar Association, 2005).
- Tinker Field Research Grant awardee (UC Berkeley Center for Latin American Studies, 2002).
- National Merit Scholar (National Merit Scholarship Corporation, 1996).
- Eagle Scout (Boy Scouts of America, 1995).